Neurology is a branch of medicine used by specialists to diagnose and treat disorders of the nervous system. The nervous system is a complicated and precise system that controls all the activities of the body. The two major focuses are:
- Central Nervous System: The CNS refers to the brain and spinal cord.
- Peripheral Nervous System: The PNS involves all other neural elements like eyes, ears, skin, and other “sensory receptors”
Originally, neurology was a diagnostic specialty as it was dependent on correctly evaluating the symptoms presented and treated with limited drugs available. However, in the past couple of decades, this has completely changed due to the tremendous advancements made in neuroimaging and also in neuropharmacology.
This subspecialty of neurology comprises various disorders affecting the nervous system. It employs tools like catheters and radiology to diagnose and treat the neurological condition with minimally invasive neurosurgical techniques.
Through this method, our specialists pass certain tools through the blood to pinpoint the condition and treat it instead of open surgery. Our doctors who practice interventional neurology use advanced radiology imaging and 3D technology to assist them in visualizing and treating the disorder.
As a super specialty neuro hospital in Nagercoil, our team of board-certified neurologists is committed to providing each patient with customized and individual care. We treat and help recover patients suffering from common yet serious neurological ailments like strokes, epilepsy (seizures), headaches, dementia (Alzheimer’s disease), multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease etc.
Diseases Treated By Interventional Neurology
Some of the major conditions treated by physicians in interventional neurology include the following:
- Cerebral Aneurysm: Swelling and weakening of a blood-carrying artery to the brain
- Extracranial & Intracranial Atherosclerosis: Arteries supplying blood to the head and neck harden over time
- Subarachnoid Haemorrhage (SAH): Blood vessel bursts in the brain
- Brain and Spinal Vascular Malformations
- Head and Neck Tumours
- Neck Lesions
- Extreme Nosebleeds
- Stroke/Blood Clot in the Brain
Techniques of Interventional Neurology
As one of the best neuro hospital in Nagercoil, we are invested in newer and advanced technology to treat our patients with the highest level of accuracy. Some of the techniques employed by our skilled staff are:
- Angioplasty: Assessing blood flow to the neck and brain to learn of any irregularities like diseased, narrowed, enlarged or blocked vessels
- Coil Embolisation: A thin wire or coil is inserted to block blood flow to an area
- Embolectomy: Stroke-causing blood clot is removed by this procedure
- Stenting: A tiny balloon and/or stent is inserted to open a narrow vessel
- Thrombectomy: In this procedure, a catheter is threaded through an artery in the patient’s groin to the blocked artery in the brain.
Interventional neurology gives doctors the ability to diagnose a disorder of the nervous system even before the onset of the disease. It has also opened up varied avenues of treatment in precision medicine. As a result, we are excited to offer you our services as an interventional neurology hospital in Nagercoil for the betterment of the community and humankind.